Porotherm Clay Blocks
WHY CHOOSE POROTHERM?
Used for thousands of years in construction worldwide, clay remains a very sustainable solution for modern buildings. Its natural properties means that it provides a complete, long term sustainability, not only offering increasingly sophisticated low-carbon product manufacture, but giving a building life of over 150 years with little or no maintenance.
The future of sustainable building. The POROTHERM performance for permanence and longevity in architecture...
PEER REVIEW POROTHERM MASONRY CONSTRUCTION MARCH 2017
Professor of Structural Engineering
QuakeCoRE Flagship Leader
Natural Hazards Research Platform Theme Leader
President, Structural Engineering Society of NZ
Read the full Peer Review here...
For more on Dr Jason Ingham, check out his University of Auckland Proflie here...
Founded in 1819, Wienerberger has grown into a world class provider of wall, roof & landscaping solutions with a global reach. With 202 plants in 30 countries – Wienerberger leads the way in new build and renovation markets offering more than 1,000 products over the complete building envelope. Product innovation is measured against three key elements: quality of construction perfection in performance and sustainability. All three are built-in to the Porotherm Clay Block walling system.
POROTHERM IN BRIEF
- Kiln-dried natural clay blocks and accessories - lintel, bond beam, column blocks.
- Thermal insulation of R-value 1.7 to 5.4 depending on the size of the block specified. Check out the Wienerberger Catalogue above for more details.
- Porotherm acoustic rating up to 50 Rw + Ctr.
- Porotherm uses 8 blocks /m2. Concrete block requires 12.5.
- Clay blocks are available in sizes varying from 500 x 250 x 150 to 500 x 250 x 350.
- No horizontal re-bars except top bond beam, lintels and foundations.
- Vertical re-bar cages each side openings at 5.0 centres max.
- Porotherm is 4 times faster to lay than conventional masonry construction methods.
- Porotherm waste is typically 2% whereas concrete block wastes minimum 15%.
- No solid-filled grouting used, grout is poured in column blocks at 5m centres.
- Mortar waste for Porotherm (with Dryfix) is 2%, concrete block up to 40%.
- Building site is much cleaner.
- Porotherm uses 95% less water than concrete block.
- Speed of construction makes it even more economical cutting down labour costs by up to 40% depending on design.
- The design life for a Porotherm wall is over 150 years.
- Much easier to finish floor slabs without obstruction of vertical steel.
- Each block is accurate to within .5mm
- Porotherm blocks are the best substrate for solid plaster finish - fit for purpose.
- All installers of the POROTHERM Clay Construction Block system are required to be licensed & certified by Stellaria NZ Ltd. See certificate here
Porotherm Installation videos
Want to see more? Watch these other videos from France!