Introducing the e4 Brick House concept!

Over the next few weeks, we will be introducing you all to a new, affordable, energy efficient, and sustainable housing model! Which envelops the four E's - economy, energy, environment, and emotion. 

The e4 House concept is currently making waves around Europe, for being a super dry, warm, solid and healthy clay masonry home, and we have decided to develop the model to fit us kiwis. We believe there is the need for affordable and sustainable housing that truly will last for generations.

But...before we release our own beautiful e4 house, we thought we could share with you the e4 success stories around the world. First up, Austria's first e4 brick house 2020. 

This beauty is located in Zwettl, Austria, a place that has been given the name, Austria's cold pole, where temperatures can get as low as -36.6° C! Austria is one of the richest countries in the world, and has an extremely high standard of living - the e4 model is just one example of this.

This is a future-oriented house for sustainable construction built of the latest generation of Wienerberger clay blocks with integrated thermal insulation. 2020 is taken from the European target for all new buildings to be near-zero-energy by 2020.

It takes the 'fabric first' approach, which the fabric of the building (bricks, plaster, roof etc) is designed and constructed in a way which minimises the need for mechanical or electrical building services systems. It is simply "letting the building do the work".

Latest clay block generation: high thermal insulating blocks minimise energy consumption

The massive building envelope of high thermal insulating blocks guarantees excellent heat protection and high thermal accumulation. It protects the interior rooms against heat in the summer and keeps the building pleasantly warm in the winter – and all that without extra cooling or too much heating. This keeps energy demand low throughout the entire year.

Independent of fossil energy sources

Renewable energy sources provide 100% of the needed energy. Approx. 65% of the annual energy requirements for heating and hot water are covered by solar energy. The remaining 35% are provided in winter by a wood boiler. A photovoltaic aggregate was installed to generate the energy required for everyday household use. 

Results from the performance of the house show that it emits no greenhouse gases and produces more local energy than it consumes.

For more information see

http://clay-wienerberger.com/expertise/first-e4-brick-house-in-austria-

http://www.wienerberger.com/first-e4-brickhouse-2020-in-europe.html